Patient question: “How can I detect gum disease?”
Great question. It’s usually easy to tell when you have a cavity, but unfortunately, gum disease can exist in your mouth without you even knowing. In fact, you can have the beginning stages of gum disease without even noticing any pain or discomfort. Since gum disease can be undetectable, it’s imperative to watch for warning signs in order to prevent the disease from worsening.
Here are the signs to watch for:
• Gums that appear red or swollen
• Gums that feel tender
• Gums that bleed easily (during brushing or flossing)
• Gums that recede or pull away from the teeth
• Persistent bad breath (halitosis)
• Loose teeth
• Any change in the way teeth come together in the biting position
• Any change in the way partial dentures fit
If you or someone in your family is showing these signs, schedule an appointment at our office. We can diagnose the problem and begin treatment to save your teeth and give you back a healthy mouth!