April is National Facial Protection Month, which means it’s once again time to remind our patients to always protect their faces and those pearly whites!
There are more than 5,000,000 teeth get knocked out of American’s mouth during a sporting event every year, according to the National Youth Sports Safety Foundation. As a Family Dentistry, that’s unacceptable! Wearing a properly fitted mouth guard (or some sort of protections) kids and adults alike are much more unlikely to have a traumatic facial injury.
We’ve put together 5 helpful tips to help you protect your or your child’s mouth this year:
1. Make sure you or your child wears a mouth guard for contact sports such as baseball, softball, soccer and lacrosse.
2. Remind him or her to wear a helmet
3. Always wear protective eyewear
4. Wearing a face shield to avoid scratched or bruised skin will help
5. Make sure your child stays alert, even as a spectator
Dr. James Wells and our team at Wells Family Dentistry will always encourage you to wear protective gear, especially if you are engaging in any form of contact sports or activities. If you have any further questions about any of these tips, please contact us at our Morehead City, NC office.